How We Work Rural Outreach
In the developing world, people living in rural and remote areas are not only the most impoverished but also the least likely to have access to financial services, especially when the nearest financial institution may be hours—or even days—away. In response to this challenge, Opportunity International brings financial services to where our clients live and work, no matter the distance.
Opportunity International is addressing the financial needs of isolated rural communities through innovative technologies and an expanding network of banks.
- Low-Cost Branches Opportunity deploys hub branches in trade centers and surround them with small, low-cost outlets as spokes that reach surrounding rural communities. New branches are in development worldwide. Whether full service, mobile or satellite kiosk, these banks bring hope through economic opportunity to families who have no other access to financial services.
- Mobile Vans Armored banking vehicles travel bring banking services to rural clients.
- Agent Banking Opportunity installs point-of-sale devices in bank branches, mobile vans and local businesses to allow clients to conveniently bank in a variety of easy-to-reach locations. This extends the reach of the bank without the cost of establishing a full satellite branch.
- ATMs These machines enable clients to bank at any time.
- Mobile Phone Banking Mobile phones are used as a channel for financial information and services, providing clients with banking access anywhere with cellular reception.
Our client-facing technologies provide convenient financial access, allowing impoverished people to quickly access their funds so they can focus on generating income and achieving their financial goals. These groundbreaking client services equip Opportunity International banks to reach more people outside of urban centers—and at a lower cost through increasingly cashless and paperless processes.
Before Opportunity International’s mobile bank came to his town in Mozambique, Lucas Chingore was among the millions of unbanked with little hope of establishing a business. It was a half-day trek to the closest bank and the only loans he could obtain were from unreliable sources that charged high interest. For rural entrepreneurs like Lucas, Opportunity International’s mobile banks make weekly stops within walking distance of their homes and businesses, saving clients valuable time and money.